Dear friends and supports,
We are writing to you today to update you on the work of Cape Hope and to ask for your continued support.
Homelessness Statistics in New Jersey
Homelessness is a growing problem in New Jersey. According to the New Jersey Coalition to End Homelessness, there were an estimated 37,000 homeless people in New Jersey in 2022. This is a 4% increase from 2021.
The number of homeless families has also increased. In 2022, there were an estimated 12,000 homeless families in New Jersey. This is a 5% increase from 2021.
The reasons for homelessness are complex and varied. Some of the most common causes include poverty, lack of affordable housing, mental illness, and substance abuse.
The Current Housing Crisis
The current housing crisis is making it even more difficult for people to find affordable housing. In New Jersey, the median home price is over $400,000. This is far out of reach for many people.
The rental market is also tight. The average rent for a one-bedroom apartment in New Jersey is over $1,500 per month. This is unaffordable for many people who are living on low incomes.
The Need for More Housing Initiatives in 2024
In 2024, we need to invest in more housing initiatives to help people who are experiencing homelessness. This includes building more affordable housing, providing rental assistance, and expanding access to housing vouchers.
We also need to address the root causes of homelessness, such as poverty, lack of affordable healthcare, and mental illness.
How You Can Help
There are many ways you can help people who are experiencing homelessness. You can:
- Volunteer your time at the Cape Hope office in Rio Grande.
- Stay up-to-date with the housing projects we are working on.
- Advocate for policies that will help people who are experiencing homelessness.
Together, we can make a difference in the lives of people who are experiencing homelessness.
Thank you for your support.
The Cape Hope Team
- For more information about homelessness in New Jersey, please visit the website of the New Jersey Coalition to End Homelessness: https://www.njceh.org/
- To find a homeless shelter or soup kitchen near you, please visit the website of the National Coalition for the Homeless: https://nationalhomeless.org/